Amanita Muscaria - The Crimson Spirit Mushroom
What is Amanita Muscaria?
Amanita Muscaria, also known as Fly Agaric, Fly Amanita, Beni Tengutake (Crimson Spirit Mushroom), and Soma, is a red and white mushroom with thousands of years [5000-3000 BCE] of historical usage, symbolism, reference, and myth. Unlike many other psychoactive entheogens (generating the divine within), Amanita Muscaria is neither regulated nor scheduled in the United States, making it a legal alternative to various other psychoactive mushrooms such species containing psilocybin. However, practitioners of the Amanita mushroom should be well versed in its pharmacology and toxicity.
Amanita Muscaria, and a variety of other Amanita genus mushrooms , contains two noteworthy compounds:
- Ibotenic Acid
Muscimol Chemical Structure
Muscimol, also known as Agarin or Pantherine, is a potent selective agonist for the GABAa Receptor. This means that Muscimol binds to the GABAa Receptors in mammalian brains, which are widely distributed. This wide distribution of GABAa Receptors means that Muscimol affects many parts of the brain, including the cerebellum, cerebral cortex, and the hippocampus.
GABA works to reduce neuronal excitability, calming down active nuerons into a resting state as well as modulating muscle tone. Instead of GABA binding to the GABAa receptor, Muscimol takes the slot.
Current science suggests that the result of this binding includes:
GABAa-RHO Receptor (GABAc)
In addition to GABAa, Muscimol is also a potent agonist for another receptor under the GABAa family, the RHO Receptor. The RHO Receptor is unique because it has a high distribution within the retina. When Muscimol binds to this receptor, the channel that conducts chloride ions across neuronal membranes opens up.
Chloride ions are essential electrolytes, substances that produce electrical conductivity. This means that when the RHO Receptor is activated, neuronal membranes are experiencing the movement of electrical activity.
Presence in Urine
Part of the absorbed Muscimol is not metabolized and passes in the urine. Avram Goldtein M.D., in Addiction: From Biology to Drug Policy, asserts that the Muscimol in the urine is more pure than it was in the mushroom due to the body's metabolism of the other constituents that were in the consumed mushroom.
Ibotenic Acid Chemical Structure
Ibotenic Acid, much like Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid (THC-A) and Cannibidiolic Acid (CBD-A), is metabolized into a different drug during decarboxylation, a process of drying and heat. When Amanita Muscaria mushrooms are harvested, the Ibotenic Acid within them remains until it is decarboxylated. This is why practitioners ensure that the mushroom is significantly dried prior to ingestion. The reason for this is that Ibotenic Acid is an agonist for the NMDA Receptors.
NMDA Receptors that are functioning properly allow Calcium Ions to pass through the receptor channel. With Ibotenic Acid, too many Calcium Ions pass through, which can upset the integrity of the neuron and cause apoptosis, or cell death. This fact makes it important for any practitioner of Amanita Muscaria to ensure that their specimen is thoroughly dried.
Practitioners have been known to further heat their specimen to around 175 degrees Fahrenheit by baking, however being sure to remain under 200 degrees to avoid destroying the Muscimol.
Though bodily excretion of Ibotenic Acid occurs within twenty to ninety minutes, symptoms become stronger after the acid has been excreted. If poisoning does occur, patients are given charcoal, and even Atropine, to prevent absorption.
Another safety measure is to isolate the acid, removing it from the mushroom. This occurs through an ethanol extraction and further anion exchange. Additionally, Muscimol may also be isolated from the mushroom through chromatography.
THE MAN BEHIND THE MUSHROOM
Robert Gordon Wasson, founder of ethnomycology, was the author of various books on psychoactive mushrooms. He was a vice president of the financial institution J.P. Morgan & Co. and friend of CIA Director Allen Dulles. He stands next to Albert Hofmann the discoverer of lysergic acid diethylamid (LSD).
Together, Wasson and Hofmann wrote The Road to Eleusis: Unveiling the Secret of the Mysteries. The 192-page book about solving the Eleusinian Mystery, whereby initiations were held for the Greek Goddess Demeter and her daughter Persephone. During the initiations, psychoactive substances were used during the ancient Greek festival of Thesmorphoria--meaning 'the Bringer of the Divine Order'. Some claim that the substance used in this ritual was the toadstool--Amanita Muscaria.
During the ritual, three phases occured:
The death and rebirth motif of the ritual might be connected to those substances that thrust the mind into a similar experience.
Gordon Wasson (1898-1986) Red Suit
Albert Hofmann (1906-2008) Blue Suit
Now, Gordon Wasson is especially important because he authored and co-authored the below works, all relevant to the Amanita Muscaria mushroom.
Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality
Written in 1972, Soma is a book on the anthropology and ethno-mythological studies concerning Soma.
Persephone's Quest: Entheogens and the Origins of Religion
Written in 1992, Persephone's Quest "discusses the role played by psychoactive mushrooms in the religious rituals of ancient Greece, Eurasia, and Mesoamerica.
The Wondrous Mushroom: Mycolatry in Mesoamerica
Written in 1980, The Wondrous Mushroom, "an in-depth study of shamanic realities, mushrooms, and traditions..."
Gordon Wasson Facts as per Gnostic Media
1) Wasson served as a chairman to the Council on Foreign Relations (the CFR).
2) Wasson was a director of the Free Russia Fund, Inc. "has been founded to support the "morale" of "exiles from Soviet powers": surely "morale" must be spelled out in terms of Russian values, not what our values might be if we were exiles."
3) Wasson worked as a VP to JP Morgan Bank at 23 Wall St, a.k.a. "The Corner".
4) Wasson was PR (propaganda) VP for JP Morgan, and helped to sell the current financial system created by his boss, JP Morgan, at Jekyll Island (see Secrets of the Federal Reserve by Eustace Mullins).
5) Wasson had close ties to Allen Dulles, head of the CIA. There is documentation publicly available that Wasson himself was CIA.
6) Wasson earned a directorship at a pharmaceutical company for his mushroom discovery. See Letcher, Shroom.
7) Wasson was an account manager to the Pope and Vatican for JP Morgan. – This reveals an agenda to protect
8.) Wasson was in charge of promoting the Russian Orthodox Church for Russian immigrants. – This reveals an agenda to protect
9) Wasson had a Russian wife, Valentina, who was religious. - agenda to protect. Valentina was from the Russian intelligentsia – or Russian elite. Their story of her collecting mushrooms as a Russian peasant in the woods on their honeymoon seems patently absurd. This fact has been pointed out by their daughter: "Such an explanation seemed to me like a Hollywood soap opera, something out of character for my father.".
10) Wasson plagiarized many of his ideas of Soma from John G. Bourke's book on Scatology - 1892.
11) Primary documents reveal that Wasson was involved in helping to cover up JP Morgan's involvement in the Civil War's Hall Carbine Affair, and that Wasson directed the disinformation campaign. It appears that this act earned Wasson a position as VP of PR for JP Morgan Bank.
12) Wasson's direct boss at JP Morgan, Henry Davison, was Skull & Bones. Henry Luce at Time-Life was Skull & Bones. Davison created Time-Life for his boss, JP Morgan. CD Jackson, head of US psychological warfare (purchaser of the JFK Zapruder film), was VP at Time-Life. Jackson is famous for his footage at the Buchenwald camp. Jackson later became president of Time-Life. Wasson claimed "by a chance meeting with Luce", that he published his "Seeking the Magic Mushroom" (May, 1957) with Life Magazine (http://www.imaginaria.org/wasson/life.htm). Luce and Wasson were long time members of the Century Club.
13) Wasson launched a campaign to destroy John M. Allegro's work before it was even available. All of Wasson's claims against Allegro have subsequently been disproved (see The Holy Mushroom, Irvin, 2008).
14) Wasson covered up that Andrija Puharich was CIA/ARMY/MK-Ultra when he attacked Allegro, calling Puharich merely "a man". (see The Holy Mushroom, Irvin, 2008).
15) Wasson was a runner up (1 of 8.) as chairman to the Securities and Exchange Commission running Wall Street and the NY Stock Exchange.
16) Wasson authored the Stock Exchange Act. (global impact of this legislation is something still unknown)
17) Wasson helped to launch the psychedelic revolution - sending thousands of beatniks to Mexico in Search of the "Magic Mushroom".
18) Wasson was associated to no less than 6 persons suspected of being involved in the JFK assassination. See Jackson and Luce, above, as examples. Primary documents link Wasson to the JFK assassination from many angles, including directly to George de Mohrenschildt (the close friend of Lee Harvey Oswald) and the Zapruder film. de Mohrenschildt's wife worked for Abe Zapruder, and de Mohrenschildt himself worked directly with Wasson. On de Mohrenschildt's suiciding, Wasson's number was found in his pocket - along with others such as George H. W. Bush (another suspect).
19) Wasson was close friends with Edward Bernays, whom he hung out with for at least 10 years. Bernays is the father of propaganda and spin and nephew to Sigmund Freud.
20) Wasson was on the executive committee for the Research Program on the U.S.S.R.
21) Wasson served as chairman to the Committee for the Promotion of Advanced Slavic Cultural Studies.
22) Wasson was in a top position in the Century Club. The Century Club is an elite/CIA/OSS intelligence front posing as an exclusive "art club". Wasson gave lectures there on his mushroom research to the private/intelligence members.
23) Wasson ran the Russian Student Fund, Inc., for the CIA.
24) Valentina ran the St. Saraphim Foundation.
25) Wasson worked as director to Sandoz pharmaceuticals (above Hofmann? Same position as mentioned by Letcher? See #6. See also B.H. Friedman, Tripping, pg. 48ff.).
26) Wasson may have worked with Dr. Timothy Leary to distribute LSD (See also B.H. Friedman,Tripping, pg. 48ff.).
27) Wasson nominated John Foster Dulles, Walter Lippmann, George Kennan, and other infamous characters to the Century Club.
28) Wasson was friends with Allen Dulles, the head of the CIA.
29) Wasson was friends with George Kennan, one of the people behind Operation Paperclip – a program to secretly bring top Nazi officials and scientists into the USA and elsewhere for research and other covert purposes.
30) The Wasson family has intentionally suppressed this information and has prevented access to the Wasson archives at Harvard to anyone who does not uphold the current Wassonian myth. Wasson's family requires all researchers to tell them exactly what they're going to write about Wasson before they've even seen the documents (!) – a logical impossibility - forcing researchers to lie or commit the fallacy of ad ignorantium - if they want access.